September 15, 2007

The Jolly Green Revival

Last week, I came across a historical account of how the concept of 'green design' had gained importance by the mid-1980s; it had in fact originated from environmental and ecological issues already voiced in the 70s. "In Britain in the late 1980s", Jonathan Woodham writes in his Twentieth Century Design, "even the colour green was often simply harnessed to the ecological cause, with the design consultants Addison Associates using it as a key element in their identity schemes for BP petrol stations [...]."

And the ecological cause was certainly an issue in 80s Germany: I grew up surrounded by Birkenstock-wearing Vegetarians who would demonstrate against Castor transports on weekends, our teacher would bombard us with books about nuclear catastrophes (see brilliant reminiscence by Birgit Merk, Copy No. 2), we were asked to carry "Jute statt Plastik" (jute instead of plastic bags... and no, they didn't have "I am not a plastic bag" written on them) — going green was not exactly popular, but still viewed as imperative. Nevertheless, it all kinda fizzled out in the 90s.

And then, strolling through Shoreditch a few days later, full of marvel at the white sunglasses and oversize neon jumpers buying organic yogurts and recycled paper notepads, I suddenly realized: the 80s revival in fashion has also brought back Britain's ecological conscience! No longer do we carry the 80s legacy merely on our bodies, but now also on our minds! So lets hope it lasts... the green thinking, I mean. Heaven knows when my otherwise favorite bar will stop pestering me with 'Wham'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home